Monday, February 15, 2010

One day at a time

While we enjoy extra time off from school, or the kids do....it is tough when TC goes back. Take today for instance. He came home and had 3 meltdowns within one hour. It was awful.

Finally after he ate dinner he seemed to calm down. Hopefully it will get better but when he is tired, he is not in the best of moods.

It can be hard! I know it is difficult and he can't control his anger sometimes but I am now able to send him to his room for a "calm down" period.
It seems to be working and he is able to self calm without tearing up his room.

Baby steps, right??

6 comments:

Ms. Diva said...

Even without autism thrown in, it is baby steps!!! My son who was so helpful all weekend went to the movies with his gma. I told him before he left do not be a jerk with your phone! I find out gma was trying to talk to him and he was TEXTING!!! And the worst part, he didn't understand why I was beyond pissed!!!! Then he had an attitude all during dinner! OMGoodness!!

Janine said...

I so know the feeling. Jake gets all bent out of shape when his schedule is changed. BTW,
There's a little something for you here :)

BEE said...

he is calming without tearing up the room
thats a great step
trust me

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Definitely a great sign of progress! Self-calming is such an important skill.

A Mom's Serious Blunder said...

Thank you for leaving such a kind message on my blog! I can see that you too are a very busy lady. I have a 6 year old son with some special needs. i am a music and movement teacher at a Montessori School and have had the pleasure of teaching some children with Autism, PPD and Aspergers. All children can be challenging but my special needs kids seem to be filled with infectious JOY! They are such a blessing I learn so much.

Amy said...

I'd say big progress if he is not tearing up the room as much and finding a way to calm down. I admire you so much...you are a good mama. =-)